Frequently Asked Questions

Basic Library Services

Can a NON-UP students or researcher use EnggLib Resources?
Students from other schools, as well as government and private researchers may use the materials of the Engineering Library provided that they have the following requirements:
  • Presentation of a valid ID
  • Official referral letter from the institution librarian or institution head addressed to Ms. Sharon Maria S. Esposo-Betan, College of Engineering Library Head Librarian
  • Payment of applicable researcher fees
Preferable days to visit the Library are Mondays and Saturdays.
Please search the Tuklas first to check the availability of materials on your topics of research before coming to the Library. Using the "Advanced Search" option in the iLib, specify the location to "College of Engineering Library I or II" to display materials available at EnggLib. Our collection currently consists of print and digital materials on Mechanical Engineering, Geodetic Engineering, and Industrial Engineering and Operations Research which are located at EnggLib I, as well as Computer Science, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Mining, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Chemical Engineering which are located at EnggLib II.

The following rules is being implemented particularly for undergraduate student researchers:
  • Non-UP student researchers will be accepted during Mondays and Saturdays only.
  • Only a maximum of 10 researchers per school per day will be accommodated. Researchers are advised to schedule their visit in smaller groups.
  • For groups of more than 10, please call the library prior to your visit and make an appointment; otherwise, you will not be allowed to enter the library. You can call us via trunk line at (02) 8981-8500 loc. 3143, 3144, 3251, 3252, or direct call at (02) 8920-9060 You can also send an e-mail via
Can I recommend a title for EnggLib?
Yes. To recommend a title:
  • Log-in at the iLib using your UPD Webmail username and password.
  • Find the My Library section of the sidebar and click Recommend a Title.
  • Input the book's bibliographic details (title/s, author/s, edition, etc.) at the provided fields.
  • From the drop down list choose College of Engineering Library I or II, then click Submit Request.
The Library's Acquisition Section will collate the requested titles into a list and forward it to the Library Faculty Committee (LFC) representative and chairperson of the concerned department for approval. Only approved requests are processed for purchase. You may also use the "Feedback Form" available in both libraries. Write the name and author of the book, and do not forget to include your name, course, and e-mail address so that your recommendation will be regarded as valid. If you have a Facebook account, you can also input your recommendation through the Discussion page under the topic "Request for Additional Copies of Books".
How can I replace my lost ID?
If a student has an outstanding library account, he/she must settle first the outstanding account/s. If a student has no outstanding accounts, he/she will be given a temporary ID (green card) when he/she presents the ff: official receipt of payment for ID, schedule of appointment, 1x1 ID picture and Form 5.
How can I search the iLib for books recommended by a specific COE Faculty, or for a specific Engineering subject?
To search for books recommended by a specific COE faculty:
  • Use the Advanced Search option.
  • Select Any field under Search Field.
  • Type "Prof." or "Dr." + the first name or surname of the faculty, or just type the faculty's full name. Example: Type "Prof. Tess" or "Prof. Gusad" or "Tess Gusad".
  • Choose the book format.
  • iLib will display all recommended books of Prof. Tess Gusad.

To search for books recommended by the faculty for specific Engineering subjects;
  • Use the Advanced Search option.
  • Select Any field under Search Field.
  • Type the course number, e.g. CS 277 or EEE 11 or EE 280.
  • Choose the book format.
  • iLib will display all recommended books for the specified subject.
How do I reserve books?
You can reserve circulation books which are on loan, and books at the Reserved Section which you plan to borrow for overnight use.

To reserve books, log onto iLib using your UPD Webmail username and password and search for the book. On the results page, click on the title to view the book's bibliographic record and status of availability. Click the Reserve link placed beside the location column to place your reservation.
How do I use my internet use card?
The Internet Use Card, more commonly known as the Pink Card, entitles a student to 20 hours of free computer use or charging of notebook/tablet computers at the library. The card is issued every semester to students admitted to the University since 2007 who are covered by the new tuition fee scheme. The card is issued at the start of the semester upon countersigning, and is non-transferable.

To avail of free computer use or charging, just present the card with your countersigned UP ID to the librarian-in-charge at the Internet/Multimedia facility (for Internet access/computer use) or at the Circulation/Reserve Librarian (for charging). Details of your transaction (time in, time out, duration of use) will be logged onto your card and deducted from your remaining balance. Students who have used up their free 20 hours or those who do not have an Internet Use Card will have to pay the regular rate of PhP 20.00 per hour. Note that free hours will not be carried over to the next semester.
How much will I have to pay for an overdue book?
How much you'll be charged for an overdue book depends on its circulation type and how long you've kept it past the due date. A fine of PHP 2.00 per day (exclusive of Sundays and holidays) is charged for circulation books. The rate for overdue reserve books, on the other hand, are as follows:

Time Amount
08:00 - 08:59 AM No Overdue Charge
09:00 - 09:59 AM PHP 1.00
10:00 - 10:59 AMPHP 6.00
11:00 - 11:59 AMPHP 11.00
12:00 - 12:59 PMPHP 16.00
01:00 - 01:59 PM PHP 21.00
02:00 - 02:59 PMPHP 26.00
03:00 - 03:59 PMPHP 31.00
04:00 - 04:59 PMPHP 36.00
05:00 - 06:00 PMPHP 41.00
Whole DayPHP 50.00
What do the numbers on the book mean?
Every material in the library has its assigned set of numbers which enable both staff and users to identify and track each item in the collection. The set of assigned number consists of the accession number and the call number.

The accession number is the material's unique identifier which is assigned to it upon acquisition. Being unique, no two materials or volumes in the collection may share the same accession number. Accession numbers for materials from the Engineering Library collection start with E or E2.

The call number is an alphanumeric code assigned to a particular title, printed on a small sticker affixed to the bottom part of the book's spine. The call number consists of two parts: the first part is the classification number which indicates the material's subject content, and the Cutter number which is assigned based on either the author or title of the material. Libraries within the University employ the Library of Congress classification system.

For example, the call number for the fifth edition of C: How to Program by Deitel and Deitel is QA 76.73 C16 D45 2007. The first three components (QA 76.73 C15) is the classification number assigned to materials on the C programming language. The fourth component (D45) is the Cutter number for the author, and the last component is the year of publication.

To locate a book by its call number, find the first component (QA) as it would appear in an alphabetized list (note that shelves are labeled with call number ranges to help you find any material), the second component (76.73) as it would appear in an array of numbers with decimals, the third and fourth components (C16 D45) as the letters would be alphabetized and the numbers arranged as decimals. The year of publication is arranged chronologically.
What is an OPAC?
OPAC is the acronym for Online Public Access Catalog, an online database containing the records of a library's collection - be it books, theses, serials, and other materials. It provides information on the bibliographic details of a book or library material, as well as its location, number of copies, circulation type, and status of availability.

UP Diliman has an OPAC module included in the iLib, or the Integrated Library System, which is a union catalog of the collection of all UP Diliman libraries. It is accessible 24/7 online via the URL
What does it mean when the book appears 'In Process' in the OPAC?
In Process is the status of materials which are already physically present in the library but are not yet ready to be displayed on the library's shelves. It could be that they are materials whose bibliographic and or holdings records are still to be created, or revised. Books and materials which are also being physically prepared for shelving (i.e. attachment of call numbers, book cards, plastic cover, etc.) by the Cataloging Section are also assigned this status.
What newspapers are available at EnggLib?
The library subscribes to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Manila Bulletin, and Philippine Star. Today's and yesterday's issues are available at the Serials Section. Newspapers that are 2 days old are kept for clipping.
What will I do if I lost a book?
Any book lost by a borrower must be reported to the librarian immediately, otherwise fines will continue to be computed daily and added to the cost of the book. A lost book may either be paid or replaced. Replacement for a lost book must have the same or newer edition, or an approved equivalent.
Why do I need a library clearance?
Having a library clearance means that you do not have an outstanding book borrowed or unpaid fines to the library. A library clearance will enable you to enroll for the current semester.
Where do I get Library Clearance?
Just proceed to your Circulation/Reserve counter and ask for a library clearance.
What will I do if I'm not cleared?
To be able to clear himself/herself from the list of delinquents, he/she needs to return the book and settle his/her account at the Payments Section and ask for the receipt of payment.
Why do I need to have my ID countersigned?
A duly countersigned UP ID is one proof that a student is officially enrolled for the current semester, and has no outstanding accountabilities in the University. It is non-transferable. For security purposes, it should be worn at all times when entering UP Buildings and library premises. It should also be presented when borrowing materials at the library.

Only duly authorized staff countersigns the ID card upon presentation of U.P. Form 5 provided that the student has no outstanding account with any library. A student, who has no ID card or has lost his or her ID, maybe issued a temporary ID (green) card upon presentation of U.P. Form 5, official receipt of payment of ID processing fee, appointment slip from the OUR, and a 1 x 1 ID picture.

Electronic Resources and Multimedia

How can I view electronic books listed in iLib?
To search for, and read e-books from the Gale Virtual Reference Library using iLib:
  • Use the Advanced Search option.
  • Under Search Fields, select any of the following combination: Call Number + Title or Call Number + Subjector Title + Subject + Subject.
  • In the Call Number search field, type E-BOOK. (E-BOOK + # is the default call number format of e-books in the iLib).
  • Provide a keyword related to your search in the Title or Subject field and click Search.
  • You can also type "electronic books" in the Subject field and provide other keywords in another Subject field and/ or in the Title field. (Electronic books is the default indexing term used for e-books in the iLib).Click Search.
  • Select a title in the list generated by the iLib to display the e-book's record. In the Electronic Location and Access field, click on the URL provided to view the contents of the selected e-book.
How can I access EnggLib's e-resources remotely(off-campus)?
EZproxy is a web tool that helps provide users with remote access to web-based licensed content offered by libraries. It is a middleware that authenticates library users against local authentication systems and provides remote access based on user's authorization. To get your EZproxy account, visit the Information Services Section of the College of Engineering Library. This is exclusive for COE students and faculty only.

Internet Connectivity

How do I avail of WIFI access, and how much is it?
The Engineering Library offers wireless Internet access for WiFi-capable computers and devices for FREE. Here's how you can avail of this service:

  1. Turn on your device's WiFi and search for available networks. How this is done depends on your device model and operating system.
  2. Connect to the DILNET network, which should appear on your device's available networks list after searching.
  3. Set your device to use the UPD Proxy.

Address: | Port Number: 8080
  • Windows: Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings. Check "Use a proxy server for your LAN", then enter the address and port number in the respective fields. Click OK, then click Apply.
  • Mac OS X: Go to System Preferences. Click Network. Select AirPort from the list of network devices, then click Advanced. Go to the Proxies tab, then set the address and port number for the following: Web Proxy (HTTP), Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS). Once you have set the proxies, click OK.
  • iOS (iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad): Go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Make sure that WiFi is on; if it is, a list of available wireless networks should appear on the screen. Select DILNET and tap the blue button. Under HTTP Proxy, tap Manual, then enter the address and port number. Once you have set the proxy, return to the WiFi screen to save the settings. A WiFi signal icon should appear on the upper-left area once you have been successfully connected. NOTE: Make sure that "Auto-login" is turned OFF or you may have problems connecting.
  • Android: Go to Settings > Wireless and Networks > Wi-Fi Settings. Your device will search for available wireless networks once you turn on WiFi. Tap DILNET on the list of available networks. Once you are connected, press Options, then tap Advanced. Set the proxy address and port number.
Please note that a UPD Webmail account is required for WiFi access. You will be prompted for your account credentials once you are connected.
What is my UPD Webmail account?
UPD Webmail is UP Diliman's e-mail service. Students and faculty members are required to have a UPD Webmail account to avail of the Campus' online services such as the University Virtual Learning Environment (UVLE), Computerized Registration System (CRS), and the Integrated Library System (iLib).

New students are required to obtain a UPD Webmail account at the start of the semester through the UP Computer Center, located at Magsaysay Avenue corner Apacible Street, UP Diliman (near the Engineering Sundial).